Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Hancock

I just saw Hancock over the weekend on some movie channel and I had never seen it before, so I thought I would review it.

The plot centers around John Hancock (Will Smith), an alcohollic superhero with no desire to please his critics. When he meets an HR rep named Ray (Jason Bateman) who wants to change his image, Hancock goes on a mission to become the upstanding citizen everyone wants him to be.

The acting was pathetic in this one, other than Bateman and to a lesser extent, Smith. Will Smith fit the early, dirty Hancock part pretty well. After the cleanup, however, it felt pretty odd and forced. Late in the movie, Smith lost all traces of the old character and was far too much himself, rather than the part. He seemed to have been perfect for it on paper, but something just didn't click. Bateman was very good, although maybe it just seems that way in comparison.

I was a big fan of the plot in general, as I always am with innovative sci-fi/superhero scripts. However, I felt like the early plt could have standed on its own and that the plot twist and subsequent occurences were rushed and unnecessary. Sure, it had surprise factor, but afterwards it quickly became predictable. I would've liked to have seen the whol "becoming a real superhero" plot drawn out into the whole movie. Maybe a vilain could have been used as well.

Not a bad movie, but certainly not what it could have been. 2/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment